Deb's Mental Health And Wellness Guide
"Face Yourself - Free Yourself"
~FACTS AND NUMBERS~
Please note that these facts change daily.
It is just something to be aware of.
(Posted 2013 / Updated 11/1/15)
1. One in 4 adults experiences a mental health disorder in a given year.
2. One in 17 adult lives with a serious mental illness.
3. One in 10 children lives with a serious mental or emotional disorder.
4. One point one percent (1.1%) of the adult US population lives with schizophrenia.
5. Bipolar disorder affects 2.6% of the American adult population per year.
6. Major depressive disorder affects 6.7% of American adults.
7. According to the 2004 World Health report, major depressive disorder is the leading cause of disability in the United States and Canada in ages between 15-44.
8. Anxiety disorders affect about 18.7% of American adults.
9. Anxiety disorders frequently co-occur with depression or addiction disorders.
10. One-half (1/2) of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age 14, three-quarters (3/4) by age 24.
11. Racial and ethnic minorities are less likely to have access to mental health services and often receive a poorer quality of care.
12. In the US, the annual economic, indirect cost of mental illness is estimated to be $79 billion. Most of that amount reflects the loss of productivity as a result of illnesses.
13. Adults living with serious mental illness die 25 years earlier than others Americans.
14. Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the United States and the 3rd leading cause of death for people ages 10-24 years.
15. In July 2007, a nationwide report indicated that male veterans are twice as likely to die by suicide as compared with their civilian peers in the general US polulation.
16. Twenty-four percent (24%) of state prisoners and 21% of local jail prisoners have a recent history of a mental health disorder.
17. Seventy percent (70%) of youth in juvenile justice systems have at least one mental disorder.